Thursday, December 27, 2012

This is me challenge: part 7

Nature:
*Where is your favorite place to go to get away from it all?


I like to go hiking, alone.  Being in nature, listening to the bird calls, waterfalls, the wind in the trees... just perfection.

*What outdoor activities do you like to participate in?

Hiking, cycling, walking, swimming... and I REALLY want to go white water rafting.

*What are some of your favorite outdoor memories?

Going fishing at the lake in Wilson, NC with my father. Going fishing with my husband at the beach (totally catch and release). The funniest was when he caught a puffer fish, and the thing started inflating itself. Going out on a little 2 seater speed boat with the husbeast.

Going for walks with my son. (Great bonding times.) Going for hikes. Bicycling, especially when I lived on the beach.

Traveling:
*Where in the world have you been?

I have lived in a few states (NC, FL and KY).  I have visited a few more (CA, NV, NY, IL, OH, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL). I have lived in Sweden. I have visited Spain, Denmark, Canada, and Mexico.

I would love to travel all over Europe, and visit specific places in Canada (Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Vancouver). I want to visit Monterey Bay and San Francisco, in California

*Where was your favorite vacation?  (As a child, as a teenager, as an adult, etc.)

As a teenager, my favorite vacation was a road trip that I took with my aunt and cousin.  We drove from Miami up to Tennessee, crossed over into North Carolina through the Great Smokey Mountains and then back down on the coastal side.  We stopped at little towns all along the way, had no hotel reservations and we had a great time. 

As an adult, my favorite vacation was a train trip the three of us took to NYC for Christmas in 2004. That was tons of fun.

*Where would your dream vacation be?

Well since we are talking about dream vacations.... I would like to take a year off to travel all over Europe!  Spend a week or two in all the major cities, and then travel by Eurail to the next destination. Rent cars for side trips to quaint villages, rent bikes for local in town travel. Of course, with this I would also have to have an unlimited spending budget, as well.

*How do you like to travel?  

I may be one of the few people who still likes to travel by train. Sure, air travel is quicker, sometimes cheaper, and definitely cleaner... but I love the clickety-clack of the rails, seeing the country go by outside the window. 


Miscellaneous:

*What is the most daring thing you've done?

Daring....Well, up and moving to Kentucky with no job and no safety net was pretty daring. Fortunately, everything fell into place.


*What is the stupidest thing you've done?

Getting married, and hiding it from my family for 8 months.  It was one of those, "I'm gonna do what I want, and there is nothing you can do about it (especially if I don't tell you)" moments. Caused a huge rift in my family for a while. It would have been better to have been honest up front.


*What is your most embarrassing moment? (Or moments.)

 Can't really think of any.... Oh, well there was the time earlier this year when I went to stand up at work and my scrub pant drawstring had come untied, and my pants fell down.


*What choices in life would you like to have a redo on?

 Well, not being honest about the elopement. Buying our house. And, I wish we would have moved  when we originally talked about it a long time ago.


*What is your general attitude toward life?

I tend to be a realist, sometimes a cynic.  I don't sugar coat things, but I don't always look for the negative aspects of life, either.  I want to be positive, but my life forces me to see things as they are, and I have been exposed to far too much to do otherwise.

Personality:
*What kind of personality do you have?  (Shy, outgoing, calm, stressed, etc.)

I am definitely an introvert. I tend to like to stick to myself, enjoy quiet time alone and I get stressed out in large social situations. I do not tend to get frantically stressed in most situations, and maintain a calm demeanor.  


*How has your personality changed over the years?  What made it change?

Well,  I probably have become more introverted.  I have a really difficult time making friends, which makes me sad... I have a hard time finding people who share my interests.  So, I guess the solution is to get new common interests? 



*How well do you associate with others?

I get along fine with people... at least I think so. I am never unfriendly, but do tend to be direct. I am not much for gossip, which can be a problem, working mostly with women. I am a firm believer that if someone will say something to you about someone else, they will say something about you, as well.  

*What makes you nervous/happy/angry/surprised/scared/etc?

The prospect of travel always makes me happy and excited!  I get nervous about speaking in front of people. I get angry about people treating others badly. Other emotions are on a case by case basis. 


Hobbies:
*What are your current hobbies?

Knitting, crochet and quilting.  Reading is also a big hobby of mine.  Hiking. Cycling.


*What hobbies have you had in the past?

I used to be quite the philatelist (stamp collector). I like gardening. I like travel, crafting, bellydancing, cross stitch... I used to paint in high school. 


*How often do you get to do your hobbies?

Crochet, knitting and reading tend to be portable, so I get to do those things fairly often. Hiking... well, I would like to do that more...this past year, I did not get to very often, because it tended to rain on most of the days I was off work. I guess I am going to have suck it up and tromp around in the mud.


*What hobbies do you wish you could start? 

I would like to learn needle-felting, painting with watercolors, stained glass, and to get back into belly dance. 

W. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment