Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Spending the day with my kiddo...

Yesterday, David was out of school for President's Day. We decided to do one of our favorite activities here in Kentucky. We went for a drive.

Lexington, KY is mapped out like a bicycle wheel.



All the roads converge in downtown, and there is a road that circles all the way around (New Circle Road). Taking this road you can his any one of the 'spokes' of the wheel. We decided to take Versailles (pronounced Ver-Sales, but don't get me started on that) Road. We like to go to the Historic Downtown areas of these cities. That is where you find the oldest buildings, and churches, and landmarks. All the charm. The newer areas are all the same: Kroger, Wal-mart, same fast food places, etc.

I did not take many pictures in Versailles, but here is what we did take:





That church is an old Catholic Church. It was built in the late 1800's, and was used until a new church was built in another location in the 1980's. Since then, this building was used as an auction house, a restaurant and office space. I would love to get an old church like this and make it into a home. Anyone got $550,000 I can borrow?

After our brief visit to Versailles, we headed over to another old, small city called Midway. This little town was so charming. The Main Street was split by a railroad track. The buildings were all colorfully painted, and well kept. Unfortunately, most of the businesses were closed either for the holiday, or they simply were not open on Mondays.





Standing at the end of the road by the caboose (see below) you can fit the entire downtown into one frame of film. Love it!!




This was the inside of the caboose.



And David with the caboose.

There was an old pharmacy that had an old-fashioned sandwich counter in it. I wish I had taken a photo. Or better yet, I wish I could have convinced my son to go in.

Finally, our journey took us to Frankfort, the Capitol. We stopped and had lunch at Big Boy's.



Then we drove around, and ended up in the "interesting" part of town in search of the historic areas. Plus, I had wanted to take a picture of the Health Department there that is located directly adjacent to a cemetery. But, that will have to wait until another day.

We went to the Peddler's Mall (kind of like a giant indoor group yard sale) and to the Goodwill for treasure hunting. We did not purchase anything, though I did find a plaid skirt I was dying over. But we did see this album cover, and had a good laugh:



And David found a hat, that I thought looks awesome on him:

I wear Stetsons now. Stetsons are cool.

Then last night, as it was a completely clear night with no moon, we drove out into the countryside to look at the stars. You can see Jupiter, Mars and Venus so clearly right now. And once we got away from the light pollution, it was gorgeous. Just us, the sky and the sound of a small creek flowing nearby. Peace.

W. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment